Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Macaroons

I love love love to bake, and I also love to eat. Turns out though, that as much as
I like to bake and eat, it's rare that I ever eat too much of my baking.

Not the case for my fiance, Business.

I recall a night a few months ago when Business - after listening to me rave about the three different baked goods I had just made - looked down at me, smiled, hugged me and said "Cook more, bake less."

Turns out, Business has a harder time than I in limiting his baked good consumption.

And he's looking to "Lose weight and tone up" Lol. A very funny phrase coming from a super muscular, big, tall manly man but none the less something he says time and time again when I talk about all the baked concoctions running through my head.

So, because my itch to bake sometimes keeps me up at night, but also because I would like to keep both mine and Business's waist sizes in check I've decided to focus my energy on creating low carb (I hate the way that sounds), high protein, high fat delicious, sweet baked goods.

Thank me later - like this summer when you're feeling totally hot in your short shorts or too cute halter top :)

Chocolate (Or Blond - But why blond when there is chocolate?) Macaroons

Ingredients:

6 Egg whites - I use 3/4 cup of whites from a carton
1/4 tsp. salt
5-10 packets of Stevia - don't use liquid as the glycerin will make the whites fall
1 tbsp. Vanilla extract
3 cups shredded unsweetened coconut - I like a mix of shredded and ribbons
1/4 cup pure raw cocoa powder

Instructions:

1. Whip the egg whites and salt until stiff.
2. Mix the cocoa and the coconut in a separate bowl.
3. Add the Stevia and vanilla to the egg whites, fold in the cocoa and coconut mixture.
4. Drop the mixture by the spoonful (I pat it together using two spoons before putting it on the pan) unto a parchment lined baking sheet.
5. Place in the oven to bake at 350 for approx. 15 minutes - the bottoms should be just browned.
6. Let cool and enjoy :)

Notes:

Top make blond macaroons omit the cocoa and add add another 1/8 cup of coconut.

If using egg whites from a carton you can taste test the mixture to ensure the sweetness is right before baking - since the eggs are pasturized.

Alternatively, you can use about 1/4 cup of another sweetener - honey, agave, maple syrup.

No comments: