Pages

Sunday, May 15, 2011

All Nuts (and Seeds) Bread




There really aren't too many things that I still really crave when it comes to gluten free dining - however, I still have one haunting craving.

It hits me often - in the bakery section at Amarenth Health Food Store, walking past a Cinnabon Store in the mall, smalling toast when I'm out for breakfast....

Have you guessed it yet?

It's Cinnamon Raisin Bread. I want it cold. I want it hot and toasted with peanut butter. I want it with way too much butter. I want it with a cold glass of milk. I want it alot. And now - I can have it.

I started this idea with the making of my Granola and Granola-type Cookies. I was always trying to use more and more nuts and seeds and less and less flour. Finally I thought that if I just ground all the nuts - perhaps they would hold together like a bread. I didn't know the results would be this good! This "bread" is slicable! Seriously.

And you can toast it.

It is dense - not really a sandwich bread. But imagine it still warm from the oven with soft goat cheese on it. Wow.

Also, I've made this bread with savory seasonings - think mustard - basil - garlic - onion powder - the options are limitless.

Cinnamon Raisin Bread

1 1/2 cups almonds, ground
1 cup walunuts, ground
3/4 cup sunflower seeds, ground
3/4 cup pumpkin seeds, ground
3/4 cup flax, ground
8-10 egg whites
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
4 tbsp. cinnamon
1 pinch sea salt
1-2 cups raisins - depends how much you like

Grind all your nuts - one variety at a time.
Mix the nuts with the vanilla, salt, cinnamon, and raisins. Add the egg whites.
The batter should be about as running as thick muffin batter. Add more egg whites if needed (tends to depend on how dry your nuts are).
Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan and bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes.
Run a knife around the edges of the loaf pan and flip the loaf out onto a plate or wire rack to cool.
Slice and enjoy.

This recipe has been entered on Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Hearth and Soul Hop, Fat Tuesday, Tea Party Tuesday, Monday Mania, Traditional Tuesdays, Confession Tuesdays, Family Time Tuesdays, The Tuesday Talent Show.

No comments: