Pages

Monday, October 4, 2010

It's Fall - Bake Pie :)

Every September I mourn the end of summer, not because I don't like the fall, but because I know winter is coming. Once I get over my initial sadness, I remember all the reasons I actually really like fall.

I like the really sunny warm, but fresh days. I like all the colors, when the leaves start changing. I like football season! And I really like the baking and cooking the always happens in the fall.

Flavours like cinnamon and nutmeg, pumpkin and walnuts, cranberries and sweet potatoes. I love em all. However, I also like the way my clothes fit, so I need to find ways to make all the wonderful fall flavours come together in treats that are just a bit healthier than the traditional.

Fall baking classic number one - Pie! This is my take on a healthy (er) pie crust and I think it turns out really great. Try it with your favorite pie and tell me what you think.

Gluten Free – Grain Free – Healthy Pie Crust

Ingredients

1 ½ cups almond flour (I grind mine in a coffee grinder)
2 tbsp. Flax meal
Pinch of sea salt
¼ tsp. baking soda
¼ cup fat – I have used butter (my fave), coconut oil, and olive oil (great for savoury pie ;) ) – softened
2 tbsp. Agave nectar or honey or sugar
1 splash vanilla  (omit if making savoury pie and add spices instead)

Directions:

1. Combine almond flour, flax meal, salt and baking soda. Stir with a fork to make sure it’s well combined – alternatively you can sift through a sieve – this will filter out any larger bits of almond creating a more refined crust – I omit this step cause I like things rustic .
2. Stir in the wet ingredients – pat into the pie plate, and up the sides.
3. Bake at 325 for 12-18 minutes – until golden.
4. If you are making a pie with a top crust you can double this recipe and split the dough in half, using half for the top and half for the bottom. In order to successfully get a nice looking smooth top crust roll the dough between two pieces of parchment. Then flip the dough – parchment and all – onto the top of the pie. Then peel back the parchment. Seal the edges and poke holes in the top.

1 comment:

TeresaT said...

Im falling for fall, going to give this recipe a try!!