Pages

Monday, August 2, 2010

OMG Cinnamon Rolls


Just like pizza, I didn't feel the need to make cinnamon rolls gluten free. I was always happy having cinnamon on an apple, or in my hot cereal. Just recently, however I was inspired to make the perfect, 'mostly healthy' cinnamon rolls.

You might ask where this 'inspiration' came from? Well my best friend, Theresa has this wonderful husband named Adam. Adam is a great guy don't get me wrong - and his efforts in the kitchen I think are mostly welcomed. However, last month when he attempted to make whole wheat cinnamon buns - which turned out as a 4/10 - I decided I needed to out do his efforts - gluten and dairy free. I did this, without a recipe and of course without writing it down. That's okay by David, he knows that that just means that I'll have to try again, making another batch of yummy oozy gooey cinnamon rolls.

This weekend, I both wrote it down and made it a little healthier - oh and they turned out perhaps a bit more delicious.

Cinnamon Yum Bun!

Ingredients:

Dough

Dry:
1 1/2 Cups Pea Flour
3/4 Cup Potato Starch
3/4 Cup Finely ground Flax Seed
1 Tbsp. Xanthan gum
2 1/2 Tbsp. Active Dry Yeast
Pinch of salt

Wet:
2 eggs
1/4 Cup Agave nectar
3 Tbsp. olive oil
Splash of vanilla
1 1/4 Almond milk - warm but not hot

Filling

2 apples, diced very small
3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
2/3 cup raisins
1/2 cup melted butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
As much cinnamon as you desire - I like lots.

Directions:

Mix all the dry, I used a whisk to make sure all the ingredients were perfectly combined. Mix all the wet ingredients separately. Add the wet to the dry and fold until a dough ball starts to form. This mixture will be quite sticky.

Pause before continuing with the dough and make the filling by mixing all the filling ingredients together in a bowl.

Dust the counter with potato starch and turn the dough out onto the counter. With both hands, work the dough into itself trying to form a ball, add potato starch as needed (don't worry if it's quite sticky and tricky to work with).

Lay parchment paper down and roll the dough out until it's a little less than 1/2 inch thick, trying to keep the dough about the shape of a rectangle. Smear the uber yummy filling all over the surface and within an inch of all edges.

Start to roll the dough up, tightly from one side working your way from the top to bottom, keeping the roll tight and neat. Once the dough is rolled, take thee parchment paper from underneath the rolled up dough and line a 9x9" pan. Slice the roll into 1/2 inch to 1 inch pieces and place in the lined pan, swirl up.

Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes at 375 degrees.

Oh my - and then enjoy. Try to enjoy just one at a time.

1 comment:

Rachel Van den Heuvel said...

Can't wait to give this one a try:)