Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Sausage, Mushroom and Zucchini Soup




Business would eat beef everyday if he could get away with it. And I would live on salad, eggs and chicken. This soup is a great compromise. It's hearty and rich tasting like a stew, but I it's ingredients make it light - something I could eat any day.

I used the Calgary famous Spolumbo sausage. Instead of their regular pork sausage though I used their new Spicy Italian Chicken Sausage.

I cooked the sausage in the broth - I wanted to get all the flavour from the sausage into the soup. I think though it would be just as good or better had I grilled the sausages first, then sliced them and added them to the soup.

I cut my mushrooms into quarters instead of slicing them because I wanted more texture in the soup. For that reason I also sliced the zucchini quite thick and only simmered them in the soup until softened. 

Sausage, Mushroom and Zucchini Soup

Ingredients:

3 uncooked chicken sausages
8 cups stock
1 onion, chopped
20 button mushrooms, quartered
1 large zucchini, sliced
Salt and Pepper
Olive oil

Directions:

1. Pour in the stock into a medium sized pat. Bring up to a boil.
2. Add the sausage to the boiling stock. Cook sausage for 10 - 12 minutes.
3. Remove the sausage from the stock and allow to cool slightly.
4. Meanwhile, add the mushrooms, and onions to a pan, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium high heat until softened and slightly browned.
5. Once the sausage had cooled, slice.
6. Add the mushroom and onion mixture to the stock, add the sausage, add the sliced zucchini.
7. Simmer over medium low heat until the zucchini has softened.
8. Enjoy :)


 This post has been linked to: Not Baaad Sundays, Making You Crave Mondays, Your Recipe My Kitchen , Made By You Monday, Makin' It Mouthwatering , Melt in Your Mouth Monday , Mangia Mondays, This Week's Cravings, Market Yourself Monday, Savvy Homemade Monday, Hunk Of Meat Monday, Barnhop, Mania Monday, Make Your Own Monday









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This looks really tasty, I love sausage in soup! I'm hosting a weekly blog carnival specifically for soups, stocks and chowders, every Sunday! I would love it if you would come over and post this recipe. Here's a link with more information:

http://easynaturalfood.com/2011/10/17/introducing-sunday-night-soup-night/

I hope to see you there!
Debbie