Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Chicken and Dumpling Soup


This is another one of those recipes that I never made before my gluten free days and also that I wouldn't have thought of had Business not put the idea in my mind.

I make the soup base so much it was really just the dumplings that I had to play around with. I thought they would fall apart but these dumplings have a surprising texture, you'd never guess there isn't any gluten in them! I like the way they beef up the soup, making it just a bit heartier but still keeping it well balanced and light.

If you try these dumplings with other flour, please let me know how it turns out. I'm thinking of trying quinoa flour in place of the potato starch and coconut flour.


Chicken and Dumpling Soup

Ingredients:

Soup

1 whole chicken, roasted, meat off the bone and chopped
8 cups homemade chicken stock
2 large carrots, chopped
3 stalks of celery, chopped
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
Olive oil

Dumplings

3 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup coconut flour, sifted
1/4 cup potato starch
1/2 cup almond flour
1 tbsp olive oil
Pinch of sea salt and black pepper
1 tsp. poultry seasoning

Directions:

For the soup:

1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
2. Add the minced garlic and onions. Cook until softened. Add the carrots and celery. Cook until softened and slightly browned.
3. Add the chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Add the chicken. Before adding the dumpling bring the heat up until the soup is nearly boiling.

For the dumplings:

1. Sift the coconut flour and potato starch into the beaten eggs. Whisk until well combined. Add the olive oil and whisk again.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the seasoning into the almond flour.
3. Add the almond flour into the wet mixture and stir until well combined.
4. Using a teaspoon, scoop slightly larger than teaspoon size portions of the dough using a spoon. Roll the dough quickly between your palms (the dough will be very sticky - I find refrigerating it for 20 minutes helps - or try lightly oiling your hand with olive oil).
5. Drop the dumplings into the simmering soup. They only take a few minutes to cook - but get better with time as they absorb the flavour from the soup.




This post has been linked to: Not "Baaad" Sundays, Sundae Scoop, Sugar Free Sunday, Real Food 101, Makin' You Crave Mondays, Your Recipe Kitchen, Mouthwatering Mondays, Melt in Your Mouth Mondays, Mangia Monday, Market Yourself Monday, Savvy Homemade Monday Party, Homestead Barn Hop, Monday Mania, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Fat Tuesday, Made From Scratch Tuesday, Traditional Tuesdays, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, FAmily Time Tuesday, Tasty TuesdayHearth and Soul Hop, Tea Party Tuesday, Delicious Dishes, Tuesday's Tasty Tidbits, Show Me What Ya Got,























11 comments:

Anne said...

I just recently made chicken and dumplings gluten-free and dairy-free and egg-free for my food-allergic sons. They turned out great! The dumplings had 3 parts quinoa flour and 1 part tapioca starch.

MCA said...

I made gf chicken & dumplings once, but cheated with gf Bisquick. I'll have to try your recipe instead. I love this favorite of all comfort foods!

I'm launching, with 4 other bloggers, an allergy-free blog hop tomorrow. We'd love for you to share this recipe with our readers. You can find it at willingcook.com. Hope to see you there!

Hip-Mom said...

I linked here today from Slightly Indulgent Tuesday from http://simplysugarandglutenfree.com. Oddly enough I've been wanting to make chicken and dumplings all week and was looking online for gluten free dumplings. Talk about luck! I'm making this dish as I'm typing. Gosh, I can't tell you how much my family and I have missed this comfort food on cold dreary days. For once I have all the ingredients! Thank you for sharing your recipe. I'll have to come back tonight and tell you how it turned out.

Allergy Free, Mother of Three said...

Hi Anne.

Can you elaborate on how you make the dumplings? I would love to try this recipe. Thanks! Jennie

Tessa Domestic Diva said...

Nothing beats soft moist dumplings in a yummy broth!! Can't wait to try these! If you get time, I'd love it if you could share on our new blog hop, Allergy Free Wednesdays...launches tonight (after the kiddos bedtime!)

tessadomesticdiva.blogspot.com

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

It looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing. First time here and love your space.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

Raj @ Flip Cookbook said...

I've actually never made dumplings before - so this is such a perfect recipe for me. Thanks for linking up at this week's Sugar Free Sunday!

Debbie @ Easy Natural Food said...

I was always wondering how you could make chicken and dumplings gluten free....this is great! I'm hosting a weekly blog carnival specifically for soups, stocks and chowders, every Sunday! I would love it if you would come over and post this recipe. Here's a link with more information:

http://easynaturalfood.com/2011/10/17/introducing-sunday-night-soup-night/

I hope to see you there!
Debbie

PERMANENT POSIES said...

Great to have a gluten-free version of chicken and dumplings. I absolutely love them and am trying to learn to cook some of my old favorites gluten-free. Thanks for sharing it.

Alea Milham said...

My husband has inspired a lot of my gluten-free adaptaions, even though he is the only one who can eat gluten in the house. :) I saw some deilicious dumplings on Miz Helen's and was thinking I should try making them gfree - I'm so glad you did the work for me. :)

I noticied your link to the Hearth and Soul is still linked to A Moderate Life. Alex is no longer co-hosting; when you have a chance can you update it to one of the current hosts?

Tessa Domestic Diva said...

Had some of the dumplings tonight, so comforting and good, thank you for inspiring me!