Pages

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Light As Air Lemon Pound Cake

A little while ago, I was inspired to make something fresh and light, and baked. Not always an easy combination. However, after scouring the kitchen to see what ingredients I might have I decided to make something with lemons.

We go through many lemons in our house, so they are always around. Sometimes, the flesh is gone because I've used the zest in a salad, but I'm saving the juice. Sometimes, they've been juiced but I'm saving the remains in case I want to use the zest. This particular day I decided it to be a good idea to use the WHOLE lemon, as my kitchen already has a surplus of lemon parts.

After trying this recipe on David, and getting ok reviews, I re-wrote the recipe and tried again, this time as a birthday treat for my girlfriend, Theresa. For Theresa, I glazed the cake with a light icing sugar and almond milk glaze that was delicious, but oh so not nutritious. Note that the glaze recipe remains a mystery :). She is my client after all, I need not make my job any harder then it is.


Lemon Pound Cake

Ingredients:

1 ½ Cups almonds or 2 cups almond flour
6 Tablespoons of sugar
3 Tablespoons of honey or agave nectar
5 Large eggs, separated
Zest of 3 large lemons
2 Teaspoons of cinnamon
Pinch of salt

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
2. Grease a 9 inch pan on the bottom and sides, dust lightly with flour. (I used tapioca starch).
3. If using the almond flour, omit this step. If using the almonds, process in a food process with 2 tablespoons of sugar until ground quite fine.
4. Add the lemon zest, cinnamon, salt and honey/agave to the almonds. Add the yolks, and beat with an electric mixed until smooth and thick
5. Clean the mixer beaters well. Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, about 2 minutes, continue to beat and gradually add in sugar (to set the whites).
6. Add the whites to the almonds, one spoonful at a time, fold the whites into the batter, loosening the batter. Mix well.
7. Add the remaining whites, folding gently to keep as much volume as possible.
8. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Place the pan into the oven near the middle and bake for 25 minutes. Don’t open the door until the timer goes off.
9. When the timer goes off pull the cake out, and make sure it’s done by inserting a toothpick into the center. The toothpick should come out clean.
10. Cool the cake on a rack in the pan.
11. When the cake is cooled flip it onto a plate. Make sure that if you’re not glazing it you cover it as it dries out quickly.
12. Enjoy!

No comments: